So we’re in the final weeks of December, everyone is holding off on their Gym resolutions until after all the gingerbread cookies are gone. I for one have the absolute worse discipline when it comes to working out…and I’m sure some of you reading this do too. According to most personal trainers, one of the toughest things about getting in shape is getting started. I ran across this cool article in the 2013 winter issue of UFC Fit Magazine “From Arm Chair…to Arm Bar” that shared an amazing program to get any beginner to actually keep their New Year’s fitness resolutions using MMA training techniques. Of-course, having Team Lugz Member Phil Davis show us how is slightly unfair considering he has 0% body fat to begin with, but for some of us…watching him make it look easy just might get us started if we want our bodies to look anything like his. The UFC gym gives some key advice here on incorporating elements from MMA training into your own workout programs:
- Set aside 3 days for 3 weekly workouts, punctuated by a day of rest to allow for recovery (i.e, Monday, Wednesday, Friday) Here’s the breakdown:
a) Workout 1: Conditioning Circuit
b) Workout 2: Strength and Power
c) Workout 3: Conditioning Bag Work
- Mind your posture- “Always remember to start your workout with a good athletic stance”— says strength and conditioning UFC Gym coach Andy Hennebelle. This could be the make or break for you to continue your work-out routines pain free.
- Focus on Balance and Movement- “Be light on your feet for all movements and use force only when it is being produced”.
- Show some Swagger- “Have confidence about what you’re doing and approach your training like you’re a fighter”. The workout designed in this program could potentially overwhelm you so going in with that Fighter mannerism will be the key to getting it done.
- Follow Through and Give full Effort- “Finish all of your exercises, challenge yourself and test your physical limits” says Hennebelle. No one said it would be easy…but as with anything else in life…practice makes perfect…pushing through your workouts will increase your stamina and make climbing that fitness ladder way easier.
You can check out the entire workout plan and follow along by picking up your own copy of the UFC Fit Winter 2013 Issue(On stands now) and get your Swagger Back for 2013!